Craft in the City

OSI Riverside Plant Earns Prestigious Green Initiative Award

An OSI Group processing facility in Riverside, California, has received a prestigious award recognizing excellence in achieving environmentally friendly plant operations that both conserve resources and reduce pollution to a minimum.

Riverside Mayor Rusty Bailey presented the coveted California Green Business certificate to the OSI Riverside team based on a number of green initiatives accomplished by workers and management. That includes installing a T-8 efficient lighting system, an energy-saving steam re-circulation process, use of highly efficient motors, a high-efficiency boiler system and a state-of-the-art waste water reduction operation.

The Riverside plant went the extra mile by promoting an employee ride-sharing program encouraging the use of public transportation and carpooling. Furthermore, the OSI plant became a “zero waste-to-landfill” facility, and is part of the City of Riverside’s Adopt-a-Street Program.

OSI Riverside plant officials say their operation also participates in regular third-party energy conservation audits – a powerful demonstration of commitment to “going green.”

The OSI Riverside facility handles vegetables and fresh salsa. Plant Manager JD Franklin said his operation’s intense dedication to green initiatives sets it aside from most competitors in the food processing industry.

As of 2016, the state of California listed 3,383 businesses certified as “Green” under the criteria is has established to rate environmental track records and operations. In addition to being environmentally friendly, the California Green Business Program has saved participating businesses an estimated $33,000,000 per year.

The OSI Group is among the world’s largest privately-owned food processing companies with 65 facilities in 17 countries around the world. It was ranked #58 on Forbes’ list of largest companies and has revenues of more than $6 billion annually.

OSI Group is headquartered in Aurora, Illinois. It was established in 1909 by German immigrant Otto Kolschowsky two years after his arrival in the U.S.

Scroll To Top